Hit-and-Run Accidents

Protecting the rights of clients injured in traffic crashes since 1976

Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense in New Jersey. Sometimes, however, drivers are willing to take the chance because they have outstanding arrest warrants or are intoxicated or uninsured. A driver may even leave an injured pedestrian or bicyclist who has suffered severe or fatal injuries.

Seigel Law assists clients throughout Ridgewood, Hackensack, Fair Lawn, Teaneck, Garfield, Fort Lee, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth and Clifton with these difficult hit-and-run claims. We help you achieve justice if you or your loved one suffered injuries in a hit-and-run collision with a car, truck, motorcycle or other vehicle.

What to do if the driver flees the scene

Getting hit by a car is a harrowing experience. If the driver takes off, the incident can inspire disbelief and anger that you may be stuck with the bills. Your first inclination may be to give chase. However, tailing the hit-and-run driver, possibly at high speeds and erratically, might put you and other motorists in your path at risk of an car accident.

Follow these dos and don’ts after a hit-and-run crash:

  • Do not chase after the driver.
  • Try to get as much of the license plate information as you can.
  • Pay attention to which direction the vehicle is traveling.
  • Write down a description of the make, model and color of the automobile.
  • Call police to report the incident and all details you have regarding the car.
  • Obtain a written police report.
  • Get the medical care you need for your injuries.
  • Notify your insurance company immediately that you were involved in a hit-and-run accident.
  • Consult with a personal injury lawyer about steps you can take to recover compensation.

Recovering damages if the negligent driver leaves the scene

Drivers who leave the scene of a car collision are subject to criminal prosecution. Even if the negligent driver is apprehended, the person may not have insurance or assets to pay damages.

In either case, a hit-and-run crash is treated like an uninsured motorist claim. Our attorneys help you collect the maximum possible compensation from your insurance company. We also assess whether you have another viable third-party claim — for example, against a construction company that left road debris or a municipality that failed to repair a broken streetlight.

Recover damages in a hit-and-run crash

Seigel Law is exclusively focused on personal injury recovery. Call our lawyers at 201-444-4000 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation. From our office in Ridgewood, we take cases from Passaic, Bergen, Essex and Hudson County, and throughout northern New Jersey. Our attorneys visit you in your home or at the hospital if your injuries prevent you from coming to our office. You owe us no attorney fees unless we win a verdict or settlement in your favor.