Orland Park Attorneys Handle Post-Divorce Modifications and Enforcement

The right attorney to help manage substantial changes in your circumstances

The law intends for your divorce decree to be final, but understands that it’s impossible to offer one permanent solution for a variety of issues that inevitably change over time. Therefore, the court is willing to entertain motions for modifications to a divorce order, but only when a party can show a substantial change in circumstance. For more than 40 years, the Palmisano Law Group has helped divorced persons in the Orland Park area of greater Chicago petition the court for changes to their divorce decrees. We’ve also helped individuals object to motions for modifications and enforce existing orders.

Modifications of support due to changed economic circumstances

A divorce decree may include an order to pay spousal maintenance and child support based on an obligor’s ability to pay, with a reasonable expectation that the obligor’s income will remain steady. When an obligor suffers a financial reversal, the support order may no longer be fair or realistic. On the other hand, the need of the recipient spouse or children may increase, due to poor health or other factors. Finally, a recipient spouse may become financially independent, obviating the need for continued alimony.

Child custody modifications for move-aways and other scenarios

Child custody is one of the most contentious issues of divorce. Revisiting custody after you’ve fought so hard to settle it can be arduous. But there are many situations where parents must revisit custody:

  • A custodial parent plans a move out of state or at a great distance with the children.
  • A custodial parent has failed to provide a healthy, safe environment for the children.
  • A noncustodial parent has addressed the issues that prevented an award of joint custody.
  • A child has become mature enough to voice a preference and desires a change in the custody plan.

When deciding whether to grant a modification to a custody order, the court considers the totality of the circumstances and asks whether a change would be in the best interest of the child. At the Palmisano Law Group, our attorneys work diligently to present your case in the best light possible.

Seeking enforcement for your Illinois divorce decree

A divorce decree has the force of law. If an obligor has not paid spousal maintenance or child support, the recipient spouse has the right to petition the court for enforcement. The court may order various collection remedies, such as wage garnishment and even jail time, for an obligor who has willfully refused to pay. Our firm provides court representation at hearings for petitioners and respondents in enforcement actions.

Contact the right family law firm serving Orland Park, IL and the vicinity

Whether you plan to petition or answer a motion, the Palmisano Law Group represents your interests with diligence and care. We offer a free one-hour consultation, so you can talk to an attorney about your post-divorce issues. Call us today at 708-966-4311 or contact us online to schedule your consultation.