- posted: May 12, 2015
Motor vehicle accidents can cause substantial physical damage, and they’re often the result of someone’s negligence or irresponsible actions. If you’re dealing with injuries in the aftermath of a car crash, speak with an experienced lawyer at Silvern & Bulger, P.C. Our Wheat Ridge attorneys have been serving injured Coloradans since 1977. We give you the personal attention and sound legal guidance you need when seeking compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. To meet with an established lawyer who is truly dedicated to protecting your rights, call on our respected team.
But, there are things that you can do yourself to help protect your own rights!
1. Check to see if you or any passengers with you were injured. If you or anyone else is, do not hesitate to call “911” for medical help if anyone needs medical attention. If you are unable to call, be sure to tell the police when they arrive about any injuries you or your passengers suffered.
SEEKING MEDICAL CARE IS ALWAYS THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!
2. Call the police if the auto accident involves damage, injury or death.
3. Wait for the police to arrive, or if you have to safely get out of the way of traffic. If your car does not work, turn on your warning lights or open your hood to warn other drivers in the area.
4. Obtain information from the all other drivers and witnesses involved in the car accident, including:
Telephone Numbers (mobile, home, work):
Coverage Limits (liability):
If an independent eye-witness is kind enough to stay, be sure to get a name and phone number! AN EYE-WITNESS CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE TO YOUR CASE!
5. Write down the car accident information:
Other car description:
Car License Plate Number: ____________________
6. Take pictures of everything involved in the car accident, if it can be done SAFELY! These pictures should include each car driver, each automobile in the car accident showing any property damage, skid marks, any other damage to property, as well as the location of the automobile accident. If there are no other cameras available, then you should use a cell phone camera. Pictures may help your automobile insurance company determine how much you should be paid for your injuries.
8. Schedule an appointment with your doctor, or go to the emergency room or urgent care as soon as possible! Sometimes there are injuries right after an accident takes place, but many people who are injured do not realize it right after an accident. Therefore, it is always wise to see your doctor to make sure that you are ok. If you have symptoms at the scene, go directly to the emergency room or urgent care. Remember rule number 1, taking care of your health -- and the health of your family and friends - always comes first!
9. Before speaking to the insurance company, make sure to consult an experienced auto accident attorney