Dedicated Virginia Beach Catastrophic Injury Attorneys Pursue Maximum Compensation for Clients
Law firm serves residents throughout Hampton Roads, Virginia
A catastrophic injury is often life-changing, both physically and emotionally. These injuries are also expensive because they typically require ongoing medical care and might impede the victim’s ability to earn a living. If you have suffered a severe injury that was caused by the negligent or intentional act of another party, our Virginia Beach catastrophic injury attorneys at Ernest Law Group, PLC can help you pursue compensation to pay for doctor bills and other damages. We provide legal services throughout the Hampton Roads area, including Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, Suffolk and Northern Virginia.
What is considered a catastrophic injury?
Catastrophic injuries are generally defined as severe injuries that have a lasting, considerable impact on the victim’s life. Specific catastrophic ailments can include spinal cord damage, brain injuries, lost limbs and other severe injuries. Catastrophic injury victims may need medical treatment and care for the rest of their lives and may require assistance with dressing, bathing, eating and other tasks of everyday life.
Common types of catastrophic injuries
Injuries that are often considered catastrophic include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Severe burns
- Vision or hearing loss
- Organ damage
- Back and neck injuries resulting in chronic pain and disability
- Birth injuries resulting in severe cerebral palsy or other lasting medical problems
These injuries and the conditions resulting from them can be very costly. When your injury was due to the careless actions of another party, our Hampton Roads personal injury attorneys will advocate for appropriate compensation.
Conditions resulting from catastrophic injuries
Long-term conditions that may result from these devastating injuries include:
- Paraplegia — Spinal trauma can cause paraplegia, which is paralysis of the lower body and legs.
- Quadriplegia — An injury to the neck or spinal cord injury is the most common cause of quadriplegia, which is when the entire body is paralyzed from the neck down.
- Traumatic brain injury — Serious TBI’s can result in coma, cognitive dysfunction, speech and language problems, difficulty with walking and balance, loss of taste and smell and other issues.
- Loss of limbs — In addition to limited mobility, people who lose limbs may experience emotional effects due to disfigurement.
- Extensive burns — Pain, infections, scarring and lost mobility are effects of extensive burns.
If you are facing long-term physical or cognitive impairment from a catastrophic injury, our experienced injury lawyers will work hard to get you a financial remedy.
Common causes of catastrophic injuries in Virginia Beach and Tidewater Area
Catastrophic injuries can happen through various situations including:
- Malfunctioning household equipment
- Construction accidents and other work-related incidents
- Medical malpractice
- Drunk driving crashes and other accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles and buses
- Swimming pool accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Intentional acts
Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate the evidence to determine fault in your case.
Who can be held responsible for a catastrophic injury?
Motor vehicle drivers, property owners who allow unsafe conditions to exist, healthcare providers who cause injuries to patients, employers who violate workplace safety regulations and even government agencies tasked with repairing roads are a few examples of parties who may be held responsible for catastrophic injuries. Once we have determined who caused your accident, we can hold them accountable through a legal claim for the damages you have suffered.
Comprehensive damages available in Virginia
Damages in catastrophic injury lawsuits in Virginia may include payment for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Punitive damages meant to punish at-fault parties for extreme negligence may also be available. We will counsel you about damages you can claim in your case and Virginia’s contributory negligence standard.
Contact a Virginia catastrophic injury attorney for a free consultation
Ernest Law Group, PLC in Virginia Beach represents catastrophic injury victims throughout the Hampton Roads area and Northern Virginia. Call us at 757-289-2499 or contact us online for a free consultation.